- The Global Environment Facility (GEF) provides support to address global environmental concerns related to biodiversity, climate change, international waters, land degradation, the ozone layer, and persistent organic pollutants. The GEF Independent Evaluation Office (GEF IEO) has a central role in ensuring the independent evaluation function within the GEF. The IEO is responsible for undertaking independent evaluations that involve a set of projects, programs, policies or processes.
- The GEF IEO is based in Washington DC. It is administered by the World Bank, but it is independent of its management as well as the management of the GEF. Its Director reports directly to the GEF Council, the GEF governing body. All contracts with the Office are World Bank contracts. More information about the IEO can be found at Office’s website: www.gefieo.org.
- The IEO is conducting an evaluation of community-based development approaches at the GEF. The objective of the analysis is to provide evaluative evidence for the GEF on the relevance, effectiveness, and sustainability of GEF interventions that use community-based development approaches. With the understanding that these approaches do not have universal applicability, the evaluation will also consider the merits and challenges associated with the use of these approaches in the GEF focal areas and implementation mechanisms, providing evidence on when to use the approach and for what. The analysis will also provide data on socio-economic co-benefits, gender, and inclusion.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- This evaluation is being conducted using a mixed methods approach encompassing both quantitative and qualitative methods and tools.
- The Short-Term Consultant will contribute in the following ways:
- Portfolio Review
- Develop a project document database, download and organize project documents (project approval, implementation reports, mid-term review, terminal evaluations, etc) in a shared file.
- Conduct a portfolio review of a sample of projects using a portfolio review protocol.
- Analyze data collected during portfolio review, synthesize into a written report including data visualization, cross tabulation, etc.
- Archive project data, ensuring that documentation is saved and stored in an easy-to-understand format.
- Literature Scan
- Search for and compile information on GEF projects that use community-based approaches, including from news articles, blogs, reports, etc.
- In-Depth Document Review (Post Completion and/or Country Case Studies)
- Gather relevant documents and conduct in-depth document review to support post completion evaluation and/or country case studies using templates or questions provided by the evaluation team.
- Other Analysis
- Perform any other data gathering and analysis that may be deemed necessary. This may include supporting online stakeholder surveys (piloting, outreach, follow up, analysis, etc.) or any other need for research support that arises.
- Report Writing
- Support drafting process of the evaluation report, including graphs, charts, and other written inputs.
- Portfolio Review
- Deliverables corresponding to the responsibilities outlined above will be further defined in the Terms of Reference.
- The consultant will start in February 2022. All inputs must be provided no later than June 2022.
- The IEO will provide quality assurance, methodological support and technical inputs, and access to project and program documentation and data.
- The consultant will be expected to work from their own laptop (not provided by IEO).
- The specific qualifications required are:
- Master’s degree, with an educational background and/or work experience in environment, international development, sociology/anthropology, and/or evaluation
- Minimum three years’ experience in conducting desk study based and web-based research and reviews
- Knowledge of community-based development approaches, especially in the environment sector
- Excellent skills in Excel, especially the ability to construct and manage datasets and conduct data analysis for evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Skilled at preparing reports and other analytical outputs
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the GEF and its Agencies is an added advantage
Terms of the contract
- All contracts with the IEO are World Bank contracts and follow the relevant rules and regulations of the Bank. The contract offered to the selected candidate is for 30 days (with the possibility of extension depending on the work required) starting work in February 2022 with final delivery before June 30, 2022. Any need for additional days and compensation will be discussed and approved by the IEO prior to the beginning of extra work. The consultancy will take place at the STC’s own place of work.
- Interested consultants are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest in English, to email@example.com with "Community Based Approaches - Analyst STC" in the subject line. The application should include a CV and a cover letter expressing how their work experience fits the qualifications above. The application deadline is January 28, 2022.
The GEF IEO is proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce and does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.